It is generally accepted that the Cork Ursuline Past Pupils’ Union was founded in 1919. Certainly in that year a reunion of past pupils of Ursuline Convent, Blackrock, took place on the Feast of St. Angela in their Alma Mater.
On the 9th of November 1919, the St. Angela’s Past Pupils’ Association was formally inaugurated at a meeting at St. Angela’s College, convened by Rev. Mother, Blackrock. Professor Mary Ryan (of U.C.C.), the first pupil to enter St. Angela’s college when it opened in 1887, was elected first President of the Association. Hers is the first name which appears on the Presidential chain of office.
It appears that two past pupils’ organisations operated in tandem for many years. These amalgamated around 1940 to form the Cork Ursuline Past Pupils’ Union, representing the past pupils of both schools.
The aims of the Union are twofold:
(1) “To give the members the pleasure of meeting old school friends and other past pupils”
(2) “To keep in touch with Convents and schools” (Constitution of the Union)
The Union holds an Annual Reunion and Annual General Meeting at which a President, Vice President and Committee are elected. It maintains a Benevolent Fund to assist past pupils in need. It hosts an Annual Christmas Lunch and an Annual Golf Day for its’ members. An Annual Mass for deceased members of the Union and Community is organised in Ursuline Convent, Blackrock. It publishes an Annual Newsletter, which is sent to all paid up members. It organises the Annual Debutantes Ball for the pupils of St. Angela’s College and sponsors various activities for both schools, sporting and cultural.
Membership of the Union is open to all Ursuline Past Pupils. The major part of the membership fee of €20 goes to the Benevolent Fund. Past pupils on leaving school are given free membership for the first year.
Please click on the following link for details on Union Officers and Committee 2010/2011
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.